Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Nostalgia

I was born and raised on the Internet, I'll admit it. I got my first computer when I was about seven, and from the age of ten I was addicted. I was an only child and I'd spend most of my time in the company of a cold, dimly-lit screen, absorbing information like an over-enthused vacuum.

Was that an entirely healthy way to grow up? I'm not too sure, but I do credit those moments for shaping the person I am today.

One of my favourite sites was . I don't think that it bears much relation to the Get Crafty which exists presently, but has since then been reincarnated into the online magazine Supernaturale (both of which are worth checking out).

The original Get Crafty was responsible for my crafty/diy ethic. I was able to become proud, instead of embarrassed, about anything I'd create. It made me feel cooler, in a way, to wear something that was completely original and made from my own hands. It introduced me to a wider group of people who were always there to answer any questions I'd ask, or to share useful information. I was encouraged not to be afraid to try new things. I learnt about music and society and people and relationships. I learnt that, no matter how far away people may live, ultimately they're the same.

I'm currently in the process of checking out Get Crafty in the Web Archives, searching for posts I made on its forum, and sifting through memories.

I think I'll make a project of it to rediscover the crafty sites I frequented when I was younger.

-Amanda

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home